Who is Who

All names have been changed to protect the innocent, and to avoid embarrassment of the living.


All events are true from our perspective, mileage may vary, don't read this while operating heavy machinery, may cause gangrene of the genitals, don't stop reading until you consult your doctor, and we are not responsible for anything on this blog and after you read it you will realize that we are emotionally and financially bankrupt so go peddle your psychosis someplace else, we have no vacancy on this crazy train.

The Arrival 9/2/2007


Thankfully I was in Philadelphia when B and M arrived, but I kept getting cryptic messages of keening and pain from hubby. Apparently they did nothing but talk non-stop about their flight and about nothing really in general. They hate silence and feel the need to fill every void with prattle and inane babbling about nothing, which drives us both insane.

On Saturday I got up at 5am and spent the entire day at a huge rescue hike event. It was non-stop all day, great turn-out, tons of people, overwhelming crowds and very incredibly busy all day. I barely got to eat, never had a chance to sit down until the very end, and still had to reload the gear, then unload the gear. At that point I was covered in grime and sweat (and blood, having tripped on a tent cover and took a dive on my knee), and just wanted to get home... well, I wanted to get home to a quiet house with the dogs and hubby, but was driving straight back into the insanity of the in-laws.

So, tired, grimy, sore, stiff, and did I mention tired, I drive 150 miles home. I get a text from hubby that J’s plane got delayed and won’t be arriving until midnight (swell), so he and the in-laws were going out to eat. I was in the area, so I drove to the food place and showed up. They were pleased to see me (hubby more than B and M because I was there as his sanity shield) and we had a pretty quiet dinner, since I was checking all of my e-mails from the event and had just driven 150 miles and didn’t feel much like conversing about general stuff about nothing. Stopped at Starbucks on the way home, once again pretty uncomfortable silence with smattering of babbling, and then home, where I generally hid because I was having sensory overload already with the questions that M was asking about the event. I don’t even remember the questions, I was so tired.

Around 11 pm we head for the airport, only to find that J’s flight was delayed another half hour, so we ventured around the pretty much closed airport and discussed things like:
the euro
lantrens. Not lanterns mind you, but lantrens, because that’s how M says the word, and how they have lantrens at home depot and they are generally on sale this time of year and they could get some lantrens once they get back home if she wants them, but oh, no, I just thought that lantren in that one yard (um, which yard) was pretty and I was just remarking about the pretty lantren, but I don’t think I would want a lantren in the yard because it wouldn’t go with the solar lighting we have, but if we replaced the solar lighting with different lantrens.... my brain exploded at this point.

J’s flight arrived and we stood in abject silence pretty much while we watched him wait for his luggage and then got into the car. There was a minor meltdown as they all crammed into the back of the SUV and then couldn’t find the middle seatbelt and there was some drama there about that before we just decided to drive home without unloading the entire truck and figuring out the middle seat belt. We got home and I pretty much fled into the bedroom and passed out.